The course is hosted online by Coursera and is about building web intelligence applications using big data technologies. An example web intelligence application is sentiment analysis which predicts user sentiment regarding some subject.
The following lists some features of the course:
- Map reduce big data technology to run massively parallel computations. Can be used to load data for the intelligence part of the application.
- Bayesian networks probabilistic graph structure to deal with uncertainty in data.
- Mutual information measuring how much information keywords provide about possible categorical outcomes.
- Sentiment analysis predicts user sentiment regarding some subject.
- Relational versus NoSQL databases discussion.
- Text indexing discussed in relation to searching methods.
- Page rank algorithm discussed in relation to searching methods.
- Efficient locality sensitive hashing, LSH, discussed. LSH can be used to group similar tweets and similar documents as well as dimensionality reduction and more.
- Machine learning.
- Introductory talk on example web intelligence applications such as Google and Watson.
- Contrasting typical business intelligence with big data.
- Contrasting reactive intelligence with predictive intelligence.
- Discussing classical logic versus probabilistic logic.
- Tips for using Google to estimate the number of indexed documents.
- Defining parallel efficiency of a number of processors running in parallel.
- Defining parallel efficiency of map reduce.
- Overview of relational databases.
- Reasoning, connecting learned facts.
- Schematic overview of which learning techniques to use.
- Video lectures enabling you to stop and play parts over again if there is something you need to have repeated.
- Forum for students to comment and ask questions.
- Quizzes to check your understanding of the stuff presented in the video lectures.
- Home work exercises to solidify your knowledge of the stuff presented in the video lectures and to grade you. Some home work exercises are programming exercises.
- Exam to give you a chance to show your excellent skills.
Visit the course web site here.